If you have carpet in your home, you know how easily it can get stained from kids, pets, or dirt getting tracked in on shoes.
Dirt and debris can easily get trapped in carpet fibres, potentially decreasing the air quality in your home. While it is important to thoroughly clean your carpet to get rid of trapped debris and stains, do you know what is in your carpet cleaner?
Some carpet cleaners can be filled with harmful toxins that put your health and the environment at risk.
Fortunately, there are so many options when it comes to eco-friendly carpet cleaning solutions.
Whether you want to make a DIY carpet cleaner or hire a professional Perth carpet cleaner, we’ve put together a wide selection of eco-friendly carpet cleaning solutions.
The Importance of Regular, Effective Carpet Cleaning
Did you know that viruses, bacteria, and dust mites can linger for weeks in dirty carpeting?
While carpets offer cosy comfort and a plush feel underfoot, it is imperative to keep your carpets clean and free of debris.
A professionally cleaned carpet can improve the hygiene and airflow in your home.
We highly recommend having your carpet professionally cleaned at least once a year.
Our Perth carpet cleaners at Pristine Housekeepers are fully trained to perform a professional deep carpet cleaning to ensure your carpet is cleared of allergens, dust mites, and debris.
Eco-Friendly Carpet Cleaning Solutions
1. Natural Cleaning Power
If you’re interested in cleaning your carpet to make sure it’s free of toxins, buildup, and debris, the last thing you want to do is add in more toxins with a harsh chemical cleaner.
Along with adding toxins and chemicals to your home, harsh carpet cleaners can harm your carpet over time. Once the chemicals from toxic cleaners soak in, they are tough to remove.
These residual chemicals can trap dirt and dust, causing your carpet to be stiff and uncomfortable to walk on. These toxic cleaners can also decrease your carpet’s lifespan.
Alternatively, eco-friendly carpet cleaning solutions can be gentler on your carpet while still offering an effective clean. Baking soda, for instance, has natural cleaning powers. Baking soda acts as a gentle, natural abrasive to lift dirt and odours from carpets, while vinegar has acidic properties that help dissolve stains and bacteria.
Another powerful natural carpet cleaner is steam. It’s simple, straightforward, and involves zero chemicals.
Steam is capable of deep cleaning, deodorising, and sanitising — all without harsh chemicals or toxic ingredients. Steam also softens carpet fibres and helps maintain their loft.
If you’re looking for upholstery or carpet steam cleaners in Perth, Pristine Housekeepers has you covered!
2. Chemical-Free Cleanse
Using non-toxic carpet cleaning options helps safeguard the health of your family and pets. Unlike harsh chemical cleaners, eco-friendly solutions are free from harmful fumes and residues, providing a safe and healthy living environment.
Chemical-free carpet cleaning products are especially important if you have family members who are sensitive to allergens. Harsh chemicals in typical carpet cleaners can get suspended in the air, triggering allergies and reactions.
By comparison, eco-friendly carpet cleaning products rely on the natural cleaning power of ingredients such as baking soda to provide a deep clean without the side effects.
3. Environmental Impact
Along with being harsh on carpet fibres and potentially decreasing indoor air quality, harsh carpet cleaners can also hurt the environment.
By opting for natural, biodegradable ingredients and reducing the use of chemical-based products, you help minimize harmful pollutants from finding their way into the groundwater and polluting water systems.
Opting for eco-friendly carpet cleaning solutions offers environmental benefits such as protecting waterways, drinking water, natural ecosystems, and native wildlife.
4. DIY Carpet Cleaning Recipes
Natural ingredients can be combined into DIY carpet cleaners that are effective and environmentally friendly. Many of these ingredients are affordable and readily available, making it simple to make your eco-friendly carpet cleaning products.
It is important to note that with any carpet cleaning product, whether it’s a DIY carpet cleaner or commercial carpet cleaner, you need to perform a spot test before using it.
Here are some of the best DIY carpet cleaning recipes that are non-toxic and environmentally friendly.
To use carbonated water as a DIY carpet cleaner, follow these steps:
- Spritz a bit of carbonated water directly onto the stained area of your carpet
- Use a paper towel or dry cloth to blot the area dry and help lift the stain
- Always be sure to gently rub or blot instead of scrubbing the area
- Use a mix of warm water and non-toxic liquid soap to further clean the stain
- Blot the surface dry with a clean towel or cloth
Cornstarch is an effective natural carpet cleaner and is especially helpful for dealing with fresh grease stains on carpet.
To use cornstarch as an easy DIY carpet cleaner, simply sprinkle some cornstarch directly onto the stain and wait for half an hour before vacuuming up the cornstarch.
Vinegar, Water, and Liquid Soap
Vinegar is a beloved ingredient when it comes to homemade cleaning solutions.
To make your vinegar carpet cleaner, here is an excellent recipe:
- Mix one quart of warm water with one tablespoon of liquid soap
- Add ¼ tsp of white vinegar
- Use a clean cloth to dab the solution directly on the stain
- Continue blotting the stain until the mixture is absorbed
- Use a damp sponge to blot the area
- Use a clean cloth to thoroughly dry the area
- Take note that the mixture will stink during the cleaning process but the vinegar scent will dissipate when it dries
- If desired, add a few drops of clear essential oil for additional deodorising properties
Baking soda is a wonderful natural cleaner. It gently scrubs and purifies, absorbs odours, and provides an effective clean. One of the easiest ways to use baking soda as a DIY carpet cleaner is simply sprinkling baking soda onto a stain, letting it sit for 15 minutes, and then vacuuming it up.
Another great method is sprinkling baking soda over an entire carpeted area, letting it sit for anywhere from 15 minutes to several hours, and vacuuming it up. This simple method is great for soaking up unwanted odours and purifying the carpet.
You can also make a DIY carpet cleaning paste with baking soda, vinegar, and water.
Here are the steps for making this non-toxic, homemade carpet cleaner:
- Sprinkle some baking soda on the area to be treated
- Mix equal parts water and vinegar in a spray bottle
- Spray the baking soda with the vinegar and water mix
- When mixed, the ingredients will fizz
- Allow the mixture to fizz for several minutes before using a dry cloth to blot up the mixture
- For especially stubborn stains, repeat the process
Water, Vinegar, and Salt
Here is an easy recipe for a natural carpet cleaner:
- Mix one part vinegar to two parts water in a spray bottle (for instance, 1 cup water and ½ cup vinegar)
- Add one teaspoon of salt for every one cup of water
- Add a few drops of essential oil, if desired (only use clear-coloured essential oils to avoid stains)
- Shake the mixture until combined
- Spray the mixture over any stained areas or the entire carpet for a thorough clean
- Allow the mixture to dry before vacuuming the area
No spray bottle? You can also mix up the ingredients in a bowl and dip a cloth into the mixture to apply it directly to the stain. Once you dab it on the stain, allow it to dry before vacuuming the area.
Baking Soda, Borax, Cornmeal, and Cornstarch
Think DIY carpet cleaners can’t be effective on tough stains? For heavy-duty green cleaning, try this natural carpet cleaner from HGTV.com:
- Combine ½ cup cornstarch, 1 tablespoon borax, 2 cups baking soda, ½ cup cornmeal, 1 tsp cinnamon, and 2 bay leaves (if desired)
- Blend the ingredients in a food processor until they form a fine powder
- Store the mixture in an airtight container
- To use, sprinkle the mixture over dry carpet or rugs
- Gently spread it across the surface with a broom or hand brush
- Let it sit for several hours or even overnight
- ***Do not allow borax to be ingested by kids or pets
- After letting it sit, simply vacuum it up
Salt, Borax, and Vinegar
For our last DIY carpet cleaner, we have a powerful combination of vinegar, borax, and salt.
Here are the steps for this homemade green carpet cleaner:
- Mix equal parts of salt, vinegar, and borax (typically ¼ cup of each is a good amount to start with) to form a paste
- Use gloves to rub the paste onto the desired treatment areas
- Leave the paste to sit for several hours or until it is dried
- Vacuum the area
- Repeat as needed until the stain is gone
- ***Again, never let children or pets ingest borax
Read More: 15 Ways to Clean Your Home with Vinegar
5. Sustainability In Action
Eco-friendly carpet cleaning aligns closely with a sustainable lifestyle. By choosing green solutions such as environmentally-friendly carpet cleaning products, you actively participate in reducing your carbon footprint and making environmentally conscious decisions in your daily cleaning routine.
Your Trusted Perth Carpet Cleaners
There are many benefits to choosing green carpet cleaning products, including reducing your family’s exposure to harmful chemicals, prolonging the lifespan of your carpet, and helping the environment.
At Pristine Housekeepers, we proudly offer carpet steam cleaning services and upholstery.
With over 20,000 residential and commercial cleaning jobs completed since 2018, we are here to be your trusted Perth carpet cleaner. We offer competitive pricing, exceptional results, and award-winning customer service.
Our customers often call us the best carpet cleaners Perth has to offer, and we are honoured by that! Contact us with questions about our Perth carpet cleaning service or for a free quote.